Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Best pediatrician EVER. EVER.

I’m sure everyone thinks their pediatrician is amazing.  But I get an advantage of knowing ALL of the pediatricians because I work with them at the hospital.  I work in the newborn nursery where the pediatricians come to see their babies.  I get to see how they are with their patients as well as how they are with the nurses/coworkers.  Most people tend to pick a doctor who is close to their house for convenience.  That’s all fine and good, but if I’m gonna trust my child’s life with them, I’ve got to have a good relationship with them, no matter how far I have to drive.  Our pediatrician is a good 25-30 minutes from our house but I would NOT go anywhere else.
His name is Dr. Kim.  He is one of the sweetest, most compassionate of people I’ve ever met.  When I see him at work, he always stops to ask how I am and how Mia is.  This is not just said in passing for general conversation either.  He literally sits down, looks me in the eyes and genuinely LISTENS to me.  He never passes off my concerns as if I’m a crazy- nurse- turned mother (although I am!)  He encourages me and is EXTREMELY good with Mia.  To put the icing on the cake and the cherry on top, he gave me his cell phone number so that I could call him anytime I have a concern.
Today was one of those days I had a concern.  Mia has had a cough for about a week, but it has been sporadic.  However, over the past couple days, it has gotten progressively worse.  It sounds croupy (barking like a seal) to me.  Last night it was so bad that she was up all night coughing.  She would even cry after coughing because she was so frustrated that she couldn’t sleep.  I planned on taking her in today, but she was fine when she woke up and all the way up until about 5 pm.  After some thought, I decided that I needed to call Dr. Kim.  I felt like she needed some steroids to help her airway.  The conversation went like this…

IMG_3547
IMG_3550
IMG_3548
IMG_3552
How amazing is he?  I am so thankful so for such a wonderful pediatrician who puts up with my craziness with such grace!  Do you have a pediatrician like that?