Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year sickness


Rewind a couple of days first because I've GOT to show you this cute picture!  This past week daddy has been on "shut down" from work and we got to enjoy his company for 10 straight days!  We got to sleep in and just have a relaxing week together.


Snack time!  Look how big...I don't have a baby anymore

We also played with all of her Christmas toys!  Her faves are her baby dolls and the baby stroller!


Little momma!

New Years Eve was a BIG day for us.  First of all it was Meme's birthday!  Happy birthday to the best Meme EVER.  We love her so so much!  NYE was also the UK/UL game.  Basically our whole family is UK fans, however the little Huff family roots for UL.  Yes, I used to be a Cat fan, however I went to nursing school at UL and had some basketball players in some of my classes and I thought that was so cool.  So, I just started kind of rooting them on.  Now, I'm basically called a trader, but it's all good :)  UL ended up loosing the game, but, guess what?  I'm not a poor sport, so congrats Cats!
During the game Mia got to have fun playing with her cousins Charlie and Brody!  Charlie was showing Mia how to play Angry Birds...


And don't you know...she knows how to play now!  HA!

After the game, little princess was WAAY past her nap time, so we came home for a nap before heading to the NYE get together at Mia's cousin Landon's house! 
When we arrived, look what Landon took Mia to see...


His slide from Santa!  Mia LOVED it!

Cute little cousins!

New Years day I had to work from 7a-3p so we couldn't stay out to late because this mama is a bear with no sleep needs her beauty rest!  When I got home from work Mia was eating a snack and I went over to give her a kiss and noticed she felt "warm."  Like feverish.  Pulled out the thermometer AND 101.3!  Only a mommy instinct!  She was acting COMPLETELY fine, so I gave her some Tylenol and we proceeded to go eat dinner with Mia's grandma and grandpa, great aunt and great uncle at Outback!  Knowing what I know now, I feel horrible for dragging her out.


Waiting at Outback, watching Elmo in her portable DVD player!

The next morning she woke up with another fever.  101 something, but still acting OK.  So we colored and had a snack...




Once the dose of Motrin kicked in, we had to run to Wal-Mart for some food and medicine.


These are her "shy" eyes!! 

Later that night, her temp kept rising despite the meds.  I called the pediatric acute care and they said to take her to the doctor in the morning or come in if her temp gets to 105!  Holy Cow!!  Dave said "If it gets to 105 were having an ambulance come take her!!"  A little dramatic?  Yes. BUT, that is our precious baby girl and I am a CRAZY worry wart mom!


snuggles with daddy

Anywho, the fever carried on all night and at 5 am it was 102.1.  I called in to work because I DO NOT leave my baby girl when she is sick.  She needs/wants her mommy and THAT is what I do.  She is number 1 over anything and being her mommy is my job and top priority. Period.

When the doctors office opened I made a call to get her in at 9:30.  When we arrived they took a rectal temp and it was 104.8!!  Oh my GAH!!!  I immediately felt faint and nauseous.  I didn't want it to be anything serious.  I can't stand seeing by baby sick and hurting.  I felt completely helpless and like I did something wrong.  What did I miss?  How could I have let her get this high?  I mean she slept with us and I continuously gave her meds through the night!  I was shocked. 

They drew blood, did a flu test (which is a nasal swab) and checked her ears and throat.  Everything looked ok and the flu test was negative, however our pediatrician said that it could either be a false negative on the flu test or a HUGE virus.  But, with her lung history he went ahead and gave her tamiflu, just in case.
We came home and I made a chart of all her meds, temps, etc.  I am a baby nurse for crying out loud, I can take care of my own kid right?  Wrong!  When it comes to your OWN child, you just go dumb forget everything you know!  So, charting helps me! HA!


sick little baby


My charts and supplies!

I've kept up on all of her meds, took her outside (with no jacket or socks) a couple of times and gave her a luke warm bath.  I know the neighbors were probably thisclose to calling CPS on me for walking her outside in the cold with no coat, but hey, I had to get that fever to break.  If anyone knows me, you know I'm always thinking *worst* possible outcome.  All I could focus on was what if she has a seizure because her fever spiked too high too fast?  What if she doesn't get enough fluids, gets dehydrated and lethargic?  What if it's NOT a virus and it's cancer?  I have the "C" (cancer) word phobia.  Yes, I know.  I need help.  And meds.  I'm psycho.  HA!

I will have you know, that right now, my precious baby is sleeping soundly with NO fever!  She has been fever free since about 6pm!  Actually, when I woke her up to give her the 9pm dose, her temp was 97.9!  BAM!  Now I can sleep tonight!

Please pray that she is at the end of this nasty virus or what have you and that she starts feeling better ASAP!


Photobucket

No comments: