Saturday, December 1, 2012

The whole “Santa” issue

For those of you who know me personally, know that last year we decided to NOT do the whole “Santa” thing.  For a few reasons.  First, I want my child to know the real reason for the season.  I want her to know that we are celebrating the birth of her Savior.  The one and only who loves her more than mommy and daddy and died to save her.  Secondly, I didn’t want her behaving for a fictional character in order to get toys, feeding into our natural selfish desires.  I want her to want to be obedient, because she has Jesus in her heart and wants to please Him.  And when she isn’t (which, lets face it, she is 3 and being obedient doesn’t always resonate with her!), I want her to know that Jesus forgives her and shows her grace and that she is not placed on some “Naughty list” somewhere in the North Pole by some made up man.  I don’t want her to think that if she misbehaves, she won’t get anything for Christmas, because again, who really doesn’t give their child a toy for Christmas when they misbehave?  And lastly, I don’t want her to think I lie to her once she finds out that Santa isn’t real.  I know it’s probably not that serious, but will she question me about Jesus being real because she can’t see or talk to Him?

 

I am not by any means trying to be controversial.  These are just the things that go through my head.  I first and foremost want my child to know and love her Jesus and have a relationship with Him.  I pray daily for her salvation and for Him to protect her heart from the evil ways of this world.  I don’t think anything negatively of people who do the Santa thing.  I am just trying to figure out the best thing for our family and our children that I know how to do.

 

Throughout the year we talk about Jesus and God, go to church and bible study, attend AWANA, read bible stories and pray to Jesus regularly.  If we keep that up, incorporating Santa in some way, shouldn’t, hopefully, ruin anything for her.  I am just so confused, as a parent, what the best thing for my child is regarding this matter.

 

With all of that being said, sometimes I do wonder if I am depriving her of some childhood memories, if you will.  I want to do those fun little things like “Elf on the Shelf” and let her wear Santa jammies.  Now keep in mind, we are not so hardcore that she doesn’t know who Santa is (but we do not elaborate on what he does) and we do not keep her from watching childhood Christmas movies.  The Grinch is actually my favorite Christmas movie, and she has seen it about 10 times already this season! I want to see her imagination run wild and the magic in her eyes when she sees an Elf playing in her toys or eating her cereal.  I want to have pictures of her having so much fun around Christmas time.  I don’t want to be the parent who lets her child have no fun or imagination.

 

I have been researching, pinteresting and googling ideas on how to incorporate Santa and the Elf into Christmas, or Jesus’ birthday.  I think I can do it, I just have to tweak a few things.  Like the nice/naughty list.  I also have to shape her heart to want to give for Christmas and not just get. Santa has to be a man who wants to give to little children to celebrate Jesus’ birth.  There are multiple things I still have to consider, but I think I can make the magic of Christmas still happen, all while still focusing on Jesus.

 

Do you have any suggestions?  What does your family do?

No comments: